My first introduction to the music of James Brown came from this 1978 TV commercial for a Brown “best-of” album. While I remember being impressed with how “hard” this music sounded, I think what I most remember about this ad was the cartoon scene of two female butts in short shorts doing the bump while Brown shrieked “Hot Pants!!!!” over and over again. There are some other interesting “special effects” in this spot as well. This is 1970s advertising cheese at its finest.
One of my favorite December rituals is looking to see what films irreverent, but legendary filmmaker John Waters has selected for his 10-best films of the year in Artforum magazine. Below is the list, but his commentary at the Artforum website (located at the link) above is a must-read.
- The Deep Blue Sea – Terence Davies
- Paradise: Faith – Ulrich Seidl
- Paradise: Love – Ulrich Seidl
- Amour – Michael Haneke
- Killer Joe – William Friedkin
- Beasts of the Southern Wild – Benh Zeitlin
- Compliance – Craig Zobel
- Marina Abramović: The Artist Is Present – Matthew Akers
- Beloved – Christophe Honoré
- The Imposter – Bart Layton